Sunday, August 19, 2012

late entry....

Once again I found myself floundering by the recent challenge at BBTB2,. I could have done the optional airplane, but I really wanted to do a hot air balloon...problem was I did not have a cartridge with that cut on it. I was finally able to pick up Wild Card 2 TODAY at Michael's! I really wanted to do something different with this. I know it is a basic card but I wanted the balloon itself to look unique. A couple of weeks ago, I saw an interesting tutorial on pinterest about using metallic pearl paint as a sort of "glimmer mist". Then yesterday at a CTMH open house I saw their create a color pearl paint, designed to be used with re-inkers. I decided to play. I took what limited time and supplies I had and got to work! I used "Dazzling Metallics" by DecoArt in white pearl as the base - I didn't have any re-inkers so I tried to use alcohol inks ((remember we are playing here)), which kind of clumped, but when brushed onto white card stock left a very pale shimmery coat - I just kept brushing the clumps off. Then I decided to try the metallic paint on its own on the card stock and use the alcohol inks over the top, like you would over glossy card stock. It gave a really cool effect that I kind of like. I had a lot of fun playing and am looking forward to trying it with some re-inkers or some acrylic paint or maybe some pearl-ex....
side view of card..you can see a little of the metallic pearl finish

7 comments:

  1. OOOH what a beautiful effect! I'm not very adventurous with paints and stains and wish I could experiment more. Gorgeous card. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your fabulous techniques. I have absolutely no mists but might be brave enough to try now that I've seen this. Thanks for sharing at BBTB2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, this is great, I love playing with different mediums, thanks for joining us at BBTB2, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that effect! I am not very brave at trying things like this, but you have done great at it! I need to start trying my hand at these kinds of things. lol Your balloon card is fabulous, I love all the shimmer it has and the colors are fabulous. Love the sentiment too. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing a test post to be sure that word verification is off. Thank you to all for your very kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great experiment gone right. I love the effect and the colors. Great job. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa! Thanks for your sweet comment at my blog! I am now following you! I hope you can use my idea for your card soon! Can you send me a message and let me know what your Pinerest name is? THanks!
    Teresa K
    www.createenjoyshare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete